Elegantly restored 3 story 1876 Victorian Mansion with period furnishings
1/2 block from Piper's Opera House & 2 blocks from center of Virginia City
6 guest rooms, each with either a king, queen, or double bed
All rooms have private baths with showers (no bath tubs)
One room on first floor for handicapped and physically challenged guests
Central heat & A/C with individual thermostats in each room
Rooms range from $99 to $199 per night plus room tax
Fire sprinkler system and alarm
Free high-speed wireless internet (wifi) access (bring your own laptop)
Check-in: after 3:00 PM, Check-out: 11:00 AM
No smoking in the mansion and no pets allowed
Click on 'Rooms and Common Areas' in the left margin for interior photos of the mansion
Sorry, the mansion is not appropriate for small children
History of the Cobb Mansion:
Herman J. Harris bought the lots on which the Cobb Mansion lies on November 11th, 1875, after the Great Fire of 1875 burned down most of Virginia city just the month before. The home that had stood on this site was a victim of the fire and Mr. Harris bought the now empty lots to build a new, even more beautiful home.
Mr. Harris was listed in the 1880 census as a 'Tobacconist" and we have learned that he owned a cigar shop on 'C' Street. The census also tells us that he lived in the mansion with his wife, Billie, two sons and a daughter, his brother Samuel, as well as an Irish servant. It is evident from the size and beauty of his home that he was a successful local businessman. The 1878 Business Directory for Virginia City, as well as the 1880 census, lists his residence as 6 S. 'A' Street (the house number back in the 1800's that was later changed to 18 S. 'A' Street) and that he was a partner in the business called 'Harris and Brothers'.
The Harris family owned the home until 1933, when William Cobb and his wife, whose maiden name was Harris, bought the house in the middle of the Great Depression for $300.00, paying for it in three $100.00 payments. Ty Cobb, the famous Reno Gazette columnist was raised in this house and the Cobb family owned and occupied the home until 1975, when Donald and Debbie Ford purchased the house. The Ford's owned the home for a few years before Connie Carlson, daughter of 'Tiny' Carlson, owner of the Silver Queen Saloon, bought the house and raised her four children here starting in 1979. Connie lived here with her family until 2004, when the present owners, Paul Yandre and Jeff Teague purchased the home and began major restoration.
The Cobb Mansion today boasts a foyer, formal parlor, family parlor, formal dining room, kitchen, butler's pantry, six bedrooms, seven bathrooms, and an office. Hardwood and marble floors are throughout the house as well as period tiled bathrooms. A wood cookstove (functioning) is in the kitchen as well as an 'Aga' range from England and 'Shaw & Co.' 1897 porcelain sinks. The Butler's pantry features a 'Mini Aga' as well as another 1897 porcelain sink. The family parlor still has its original wainscoat paneling and the formal parlor has at its center a Victorian fireplace and Tiffany style panel over the mantel. The original mahogany stair railing welcomes the visitor to the upper floors where the Harris Suite, Carlson Room, and Beebe Clegg Room are located. The Julia Bulette room is located on the first floor and is recommended for those who have difficulty with stairs.